Tuesday, September 22, 2009

we have technology we like technology

“I have a black berry. I like my black berry” was the first response I got. I noticed how there was a feeling given to the phone as apposed to the people it was used to contact. There was more said there than it seems. Although then I searched for a second opinion. From a person who using technology daily but spends time a good amount of their day without it. Unsatisfied and opinionated about the digital world they purposed two counter arguments.

A phone is a simple tool that can be carried with us anywhere we go. It is useful to have instant access to communicate with family, friends who are miles away. Weather we are enjoying a nice walk in the park, or maybe on a boat out at sea it is easy to get in contact. Not only with our phones but also with the Internet or TV we are giving the ability to become more globally aware. We have such an easy way to information. Knowing current events around the world allows the influence of other cultures.

As simple as it all might be, technology does take away from our lives. There is less of face-to-face communication. There is a loss of touching and understanding between people. In addition to a loss in our own inner thinking. With technology it is easy to take a picture or snapshot of something. But we leave being able to create our own description of it. We lose our voice and creativity.

The first response was not very thoughtful. However it did help prove the standard point that we all rely on technology. The second response went into depth. It was not a standard response and had many valuable arguments.

1 comment:

  1. Arden,

    Sharp to notice the pattern of "i own, i feel affection for". What I think also belongs is, "I own this, I am the sort of person who would own this, so of course I like this, you think I'm cool, don't you?"

    ReplyDelete